UCL Energy Institute
Virginia Gori is a Research Fellow at the UCL Energy Institute, and recipient of an EPSRC Doctoral Prize fellowship funding her post-doctoral research.
Virginia’s PhD thesis, titled “A novel method for the estimation of thermophysical properties of walls from short and seasonal-independent in-situ surveys”, combined Bayesian statistics, building physics and physical monitoring of in-situ buildings to evaluate the thermophysical performance of building elements.
Virginia has a keen interest in exploring the physics of buildings by means of monitoring campaigns, modelling and data analysis. She is also interested in energy demand reduction in the built environment and sustainable design, both at the urban and building level. Virginia’s research interests build on her engineering background, her master of research in energy demand studies, and previous research on the energy demand of urban neighbourhoods.
- Gori, V., Biddulph, P., Elwell, C.A. A Bayesian Dynamic Method to Estimate the Thermophysical Properties of Building Elements in All Seasons, Orientations and with Reduced Error. Energies, Special Issue “Bayesian Building Energy Modeling”. DOI: 10.3390/en11040802
- Gori, V., Elwell, C.A. Estimation of thermophysical properties from in-situ measurements in all seasons: Quantifying and reducing errors using dynamic grey-box methods. Energy and Buildings. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2018.02.048
- Gori, V., Elwell, C.A. Characterization of the thermal structure of different building constructions using in-situ measurements and Bayesian analysis. Northern Symposium on Building Physics NSB2017. Energy Procedia. DOI: 10.1016/j.egypro.2017.09.723
- Gori, V., Marincioni, V., Biddulph, P., Elwell, C.A. Inferring the thermal resistance and effective thermal mass distribution of a wall from in situ measurements to characterise heat transfer at both the interior and exterior surfaces. Energy and Buildings. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.10.043
- Chambers, J., Gori, V., Biddulph, P., Hamilton, I., Oreszczyn, T., Elwell, C. 2015. How solid is our knowledge of solid walls? Comparing energy savings through three different methods. Proceedings of the International Conference Future Buildings & Districts Sustainability from Nano to Urban Scale (CISBAT 2015). Oral Presentation.
- Li, F.G.N., Smith, A.Z.P., Biddulph, P., Hamilton, I.G, Lowe, R., Mavrogianni, A., Oikonomou, E., Raslan, R., Stamp, S., Stone, A., Summerfield, A.J., Veitch, D., Gori, V., Oreszczyn, T. 2015. Solid-wall U-values: heat flux measurements compared with standard assumptions. Building Research & Information. DOI: 10.1080/09613218.2014.967977
- Gori, V., Biddulph, P., Elwell, C., Scott, C., Rye, C., Lowe, R., Oreszczyn, T. 2014. Seasonal factors influencing the estimation of the U-value of a wall. Proceedings of the 2nd Building Simulation and Optimization (BSO14) conference. Oral presentation. The paper received the 3rd place Best Paper Award.
- Biddulph, P., Gori, V., Elwell, C.A., Scott, C., Rye, C., Lowe, R., Oreszczyn, T. 2014. Inferring the thermal resistance and effective thermal mass of a wall using frequent temperature and heat flux measurements. Energy and Buildings. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2014.04.004
- Carneiro, C., Gori, V., Desthieux, G., Balocco, C., Golay, F., Morello, E. 2013. Urban morphology and energy consumption: simplified tools for the estimation of energy needs and solar income at the urban and district level. In: Pinto, N.N., Tenedorio, J.A., Antunes, A.P., Cladera, J.R. eds. Technologies for Urban and Spatial Planning: Virtual Cities and Territories. Pp. 173-195.
- Balocco, C., Gori, V., Marmonti, E., Citi, L. 2012. Building-plant system energy sustainability. An approach for transient thermal performance analysis. Energy and Buildings. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2012.02.048.
- http://users.neurostat.mit.edu/lciti/software – Software for transient thermal performance analysis of buildings for the assessment of building-plant system energy sustainability, written in collaboration with Dr Luca Citi.
- Gori, V., Balocco, C.,Carneiro, C., Desthieux, G., Morello, E. 2011. The evaluation of solar energy potential and energy needs for heating and lighting using LiDAR data – Application on two built up areas. Proceedings of the 27th International Conference on “Passive and Low Energy Architecture” (PLEA 2011), Vol.1, pp.789-794. Oral presentation.
- Gori, V., Balocco, C., Citi, L., Boddi, R. 2011. Microclimatic quality analysis. Application of the transfer function method to a single thermal zone of an Italian museum. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on “Non-destructive investigations and microanalysis for the diagnostics and conservation of cultural and environmental heritage” (Art’11). Oral presentation.
- Carneiro, C., Golay, F., Joost, S., Desthieux, G., Vieira de Mello, A., Morello, E., Balocco, C., Gori. V. 2011. 3-D visualization of Urban Environmental Quality indicators using the CityGML standard. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference “Virtual Cities and Territories” (7VCT), pp.19-28. Oral presentation.
- Morello, E., Gori, V., Balocco, C., Ratti, C. 2009. Sustainable urban block design through passive architecture: A tool that uses urban geometry optimization to compute energy savings. Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on “Passive and Low Energy Architecture” (PLEA 2009), pp.146-151. Oral presentation.